Ten thousand haters are coming to New York City on 9/11 to preach hate. They are coming to fucking West Broadway. What would be the best way to make sure they feel unwelcome here, and that they don’t miss the message?
In addition to the memorial services that have taken place in Lower Manhattan every September 11 since 2001, a group opposed to the Muslim community center project has scheduled a rally that organizers expect to draw at least 10,000 people. The rally will feature Geert Wilders, a controversial Dutch politician known for his anti-Muslim views. Meanwhile, some in the Muslim community worry that their Eid al-Fitr festivities will be misperceived as a celebration of the September 11 attacks.
“I think it will do the nation a great deal of good to see tens of thousands of patriots at Ground Zero,” said Pamela Geller, the blogger and right-wing political activist who is organizing the rally against Park51, as the Islamic center project is currently known. In past years, she said, the area around Ground Zero has been “overtaken by crackpots and truthers and commies and socialists and freaks” on the anniversary of the attacks.
Geller’s rally is set for 3 p.m. It is expected to follow the official ceremony, which has not yet been announced but has been held in recent years at Zuccotti Park, a tree-lined plaza overlooking a corner of Ground Zero.
The rally will be held on the corner of Park Place and West Broadway, half a block from the proposed site of the Islamic community center and two blocks from Ground Zero. In addition to Wilders, the rally will feature a videotaped address by John Bolton, ambassador to the United Nations during the second Bush administration, and speeches by Republican political candidates and by a conservative radio host. Former GOP House speaker Newt Gingrich was previously listed as a speaker, but he is not attending. A spokesman for Gingrich said that he had never intended to attend, and that the listing was based on a misunderstanding.
Wilders, whose Party for Freedom is currently the third largest in the Dutch Parliament, rode to prominence in the Netherlands on a populist program emphasizing the threat posed by Muslim immigration. Besides advocating an end to such immigration, he has called for a ban on the sale and distribution in the Netherlands of the Quran, a book he compares to Hitler’s “Mein Kampf.”
I say we let them be their own unwelcome, though it’s tempting to do otherwise.
- minou likes this
- unbornwhiskey likes this
- butterfreid likes this
- aatombomb said: They will all inevitably go to the Empire State Building, so it’s entirely possible.
- aatombomb reblogged this from peterfeld and added:
- aatombomb likes this
- suitep likes this
- youngmanhattanite likes this
- kateoplis likes this
- peterfeld reblogged this from acvannatten and added:
- acvannatten reblogged this from rustbelts and added:
- titivil said: I’m sure they have plenty of bricks and baseball bats back in KY.
- pleasedontsqueezetheshaman likes this
- rustbelts reblogged this from artyucko and added:
- formerlyvonnegutandcathair likes this
- hatethefuture likes this
- artyucko reblogged this from titivil and added:
- litteraenimoccidit likes this
- ch-ch-chuffed likes this
- gingermeat reblogged this from pleasedontsqueezetheshaman and added:
- jenninsandiego reblogged this from eversonpoe
- titivil reblogged this from peterfeld and added:
- eversonpoe reblogged this from pleasedontsqueezetheshaman
- hikergirl likes this
- hughbot likes this
- hookersorcake likes this
- smybs likes this
- nerd-gasms likes this
- permanentsix likes this
- mborgomani likes this
- lolsaladsex likes this
- sdotmarymartha likes this
- peterfeld posted this